Installing the Responsive UI Package
1. Before installing the Responsive UI Package, the below prerequisites have to be setup
a. SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint 2013 with SP1 and April 2015 CU
b. Download and install Office 365 Dev PNP commands from GitHub
2. Download the Responsive UI Package zip file from GitHub and unzip them in a folder on SharePoint server
3. Open PowerShell and navigate to the folder where the Responsive UI package files are unzipped.
4. Then execute the Enable-SPResponsiveUI cmdlet against the site collection which you want to be responsive. The command takes 3 parameters
a. TargetSiteUrl - The URL of the Site Collection, where the Responsive UI will be enabled. for example: http://mysharepointintranet.com/sites/Site1
c. Credentials – Is the user credentials that will be used to authenticate against both the target Site Collection and infrastructure Site Collection and should be the credentials of a user with Site Collection Administrator rights. If the parameter isn’t provided PowerShell will prompt for credentials.
Example syntax: Enable-SPResponsiveUI.ps1 -TargetSiteUrl "https://mysharepointintranet.com/sites/site1"
5. Executing Enable-SPResponsiveUI cmdlet will install the Responsive Package to the target site and if successful will display Responsive UI application succeeded in green font.
6. The responsive UI Supports 3 rendering modes, desktop, tablet and smart phone. Below screenshots shows how the default SharePoint 2016 UI renders in these modes after Responsive UI Package is installed for a site collection.